Up
Main Menu
What's New
Guestbook
Interactive
Memories
Contact

Newark's Changing Boundaries

1666 The land purchased from the Indians by the Founders of Newark extended northward to the Passaic County Line and westward to the top of the Orange mountains.
1666  The first division of lots in Newark extended from Clay Street to Wright Street and from High Street to the railway line along present day Route 21 (McCarter Highway) 
1793 The township of Springfield was formed from part of Elizabethtown and Newark.  It includes the territory now composing the Townships of Springfield and New Providence, in Union County, Millburn and a part of the Township of Livingston, in Essex County..
1798 Caldwell Township created from Newark and Acquackanock and including the territory now composing the Township of Caldwell and a part of the Township of Livingston.
1806 The mountain settlement at the foot of the Orange Mountains was incorporated as the Township of Orange.  The township ran to the current western Newark city line and then northerly to the present town lines of Bloomfield and Montclair.
1812   Bloomfield Township was incorporated.  The township included the present towns of Bloomfield, Montclair, Glen Ridge, Belleville and Nutley.
1813  Livingston was formed from Springfield and Caldwell.
1834  Clinton Township was formed from southern Newark, half of Orange and a small section of Elizabeth.
1838  Clinton Township - Part of Clinton Township reannexed to Orange.
1839  Belleville was formed from the eastern third of Bloomfield.  Formally known as the Second River section of Newark.
1852 Irvington, originally known as Camptown, was formed from Clinton Township.
1853 Nutley was formed from Bloomfield Township.
1863 Fairmount Township was formed from Orange, Caldwell and Livingston.
1863 East Orange was formed from the Township of Orange.
1863 West Orange, originally known as Fairmount, was formed from the Township of Orange.
1868 Montclair was formed from Bloomfield Township.
1869 Part of Clinton Township returned to Newark (annexed to 3d, 6th & 13th Wards).
1869 Woodside was formed from Belleville.
1869 South Orange Village was formed from the Township of Orange.
1871 Woodside returned to Newark.
1879 Annexation of Western part of Clinton Township to Newark
1889 Vailsburgh was formed from Newark.
1892 A small part of South Orange Township returned to Newark.
1895 Glen Ridge was formed from Bloomfield Township.
1897 More parts of Clinton Township returned to Newark.
1902 The rest of Clinton Township returned to Newark.
1907 Vailsburgh returned to Newark.
1908 A small part of the Maplewood section of South Orange Township returned to Newark.
1922 Maplewood was formed from South Orange Township.
 

 

1998-2006 Old Newark WebMaster. All rights reserved.